Saturday, May 5, 2007

Letting go, moving forward

I haven't been posting much due to the stress of exam finals and watching my relationship crumble. Now I seem to have grounded myself so hopefully I can get back into the whole blogging thing.

After all my confusion, as can be seen in previous posts about my girlfriend, I finally decided to break up with her. I've had horrible breakups in the past that took me months to recover, but thankfully I seem to have grown enough to avoid the pain that I thought had to come necessarily after two people go their own ways.

I feel a new sense of freedom in my life, and am excited for the opportunity to explore new areas. I've experienced sadness as well, but my main feeling seems to be one of freedom. For this I am grateful. I choose to enjoy this new phase in my life and the learn whatever I can from my previous relationship. I will not get overly dramatic about it - we were together about 9-10 months - but for me this has been my longest and healthiest relationships. All my other ones were in my pre-rehab days , which were not particularly healthy to say the least.

I do feel an urge to jump into another relationship immediately, especially being at a big university where there is no shortage of potential partners. I hope that I let myself process the experience and allow myself time to get over the loss instead of jumping into another relationship before I am ready, but who knows when the right time will be. Relationships can be such an incredible learning experience - but they are far from being easy.

I love the feeling of entering a new phase in life. I'm in summer classes now so my schedule is different, and I can't wait to see what awaits me! Life is always changing so I choose to appreciate the novelty of new experiences instead of dwelling on how things were before. Things just get boring after awhile when they are always the same. I choose to be open to whatever this summer time has in store and to grow from the experiences that are to come.

I hope to stay more in touch with this wonderful blog community, now that I have more free time. And thank you all for the advice that you gave regarding my relationship, it is much appreciated.

11 comments:

Sophia said...

You seem to be going about this breakup very maturely, but then I am not surprised because your blog shows the writings of someone who is becoming more and more balanced in life.

I've only had one serious relationship in my life, and it turns out that this is the man I married, so I can't really say a lot about break-ups. When I was younger and dating guys I was very immature about it. I'd date them for a few days and then decide I didn't like them, but instead of telling them I wasn't interested, I'd just avoid them until they got the hint. So, I never really experienced a real mature break-up.

Be open to new relationships, they just might happen without you expecting them! College is the perfect opportunity to meet new people. :)

Brian said...

Thank you Sophia. Thast reminds me of my first girlfriend who never "officially" broke up with me but she just stopped showing interest hoping I would get the point.

Take care!

Anonymous said...

Sorry it didn't work out but I think your attitude to change is admirable. As you say, just be open to whatever life has to offer - there can be no better way to be. And I suspect you have the insight to know when you are ready for a new relationship.

Brian said...

Secret Simon,
Thank you for the reply. I try to be open whenever I can, often we will receive even more than we had hoped for.

Anonymous said...

Another chapter of your life unfolds! How wonderful for you to recognize the lessons that you have learned from this relationship and to acknowledge the adventure that is in front of you! This is a great time to grow. Remember you are the creator of your life, create what you desire!

Brian said...

Thank you Mark. It really is exciting opening a new chapter. Who knows what we all have awaiting us?

Anonymous said...

One step at a time, One day at a time, one moment at a time; it is all we can do.

Be easy on yourself, it is all about learning what is and is not right for us, and to do this means trial & error.

Sometimes it can be hard to deal with feelings, but you seem to have a good sense about yours thoughts & feelings which is great!

Brian said...

Lucid,
Thank you for the reply. You are right, sometimes we need to know what DOESN'T work for us before it becomes clear what DOES work for us.

The process doesn't always so fun when you are going through the rough parts though!

Desiree said...

Hope all is going well Brian and that your lack of posting is because you are too busy being happy! Wishing you all the best!

Anonymous said...

Hi, Brian :) I found you through Mark's new posting today.... This and the following post really relays how much of a "New Beginning" you are making in your life. I wish you all the best on your journey (and, metaphysically speaking, all of these positive 'new beginnings' are being done under the auspices of a Full Moon..... Very cool indeed! :)..)

Anonymous said...

you to buy chantix to quit the very dangerous 'nicotine' addiction by having the anti-smoking magic pill 'Chantix' which is Pfizer manufactured and approved by FDA on May 11,2006.For more sophisticated information about the side-effects of smoking and the treatment of it,Please logon to Chantix Online.