Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Kicking the Habit: Goodbye Caffeine and Nicotine!

Spring time has been a time of great change for me. I've been a caffeine addict for a while but now it's been over a week without any coffee the change has been amazing. I'm so much calmer and grounded that I cringe at the thought of how jittery I constantly was with caffeine flowing through my veins all day.

I also found that it has got me more in touch with my intuition. Being wired all day keeps me stuck in my head where thoughts start to flow out of control and I lose touch with my inner wisdom. One example is that at work I would be anxious throughout the day, and so whenever I had thoughts of finding a new job I would just say that it was fear distorting my perception of my job and that I just had to ignore it. After going to work without having any caffeine in my system, I was able to experience the day without any extreme anxiety but I felt that the job just did not satisfy me any longer and it is time to move on. One job that I applied for that involves helping isolated seniors and organizing activities for them and it looks amazing to me. I will put my full effort into trying to get this job for the summer. Exciting!

The other demon: nicotine. I've been addicted to cigarettes for about 3 and a half years now. I made a few effortless attempts at quitting for a few days but nothing serious. Today I am smoking my last cigarette and we will see where this takes me. I'll try to keep my progress here, I think interacting in the blog world will help keep my occupied in the evenings and help with the process.

I can't wait to wake up tomorrow and experience a day cigarette-free. I have the nicotine gum for when required but I intend to use this on a very short-term basis just until I feel a bit more comfortable. I look forward to being free from the cravings and obsessions and am curious what gifts will come along with this experience.

I hope all is well with everybody and you are enjoying whatever phase of your journey you are now on!

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wonderful!!! I haven't kicked the caffeine (yet), although I have done several times over my life. Fortunately I'm not a huge coffee addict..just a couple cups in the morning....maybe some iced tea...the occasional black tea.. Hum..maybe I AM an addict! LOL ;)

Brian said...

Thank you Grace.

Now that you mention it, I think during the summer iced tea would be even more tempting than a coffee, much more refreshing!

I was never a HUGE coffee drinker either, usually about 3 cups throughout the day (although some were extra-large portions), but it was still enough for me to get jittery.

Take care!

Anonymous said...

Brian,
Good for you! Sounds like you are cleaning house. I too gave up all caffene about 6 months ago and I am so much better for doing it! I sleep better at night and I am more clear during the day.
Remember, all of this is in your control. I am confident that you will do great with these changes which you are making.
Big Hug!

Desiree said...

I kicked the nicotine habit almost 7 years ago! I still have my caffeine habit though. In fact my caffeine habit helped me kick my nicotine habit. I used to feel a hunger pain for a cigarette. Yes it was a literal hunger pain and the only thing that would ease that was hot coffee so I would drink a hot cup of coffee when that feeling would occur and it really helped. I do though limit my caffeine consumption today and drink more decaffeinated. I used the patch to get me through the first few days of quitting then I had an allergic reaction and had to go it alone the rest of the way. I actual was allergic to nicotine so imagine the damage I was doing to myself all those years! I also had asthma and the cigarettes were making it really bad. Now I live inhaler free well unless I get sick with a bad cold then I usually need one but for the most part I don't use my inhaler. Anyway, I said way more than intended and really all I wanted to do was wish you the best with this and tell you I know how difficult it is as I've been there!

Brian said...

Mark,
Thank you! I remember you posting a while ago about having quit caffeine so I had thought about asking you for advice, but things worked out on their own.

Is it still a challenge at all to avoid caffeine or has it become easy?

Brian said...

Desiree,
Thanks for your input. 7 years thats great, seems like you beat it for the long run! I think for me drinking coffee would just make me want to smoke even more, although I have to say sugary treats are harder to resist these days :)

Take care

Oceanshaman said...

I'm close to 18 months without drugs and alcohol, and that has been and continues to be an interesting journey that has been the springboard to a ever-evolving spiritual path . . .

Never was a partaker of legal smokes, so I can't speak to nicotine . . .

Coffee, on the other hand, is necessity still, and kudos are to you for being able to let go . . .

Nice blog, by the way . . .

Sophia said...

Brian,

How is your journey going? Have you stopped smoking? If not, it's time to start getting serious! I wouldn't preach about it if I didn't think you could do it. I quit in January, and so did my husband, and he had smoked for more than 40 years! If he can do it, so can you, and it's a good time for you to do so, because you are still young. His lungs are damaged and he has to take medication in the form of an inhaler every day. Think about that the next time you feel like lighting up! It could be you!

Sorry if I got a little preachy. I just know you can quit. Please let me know if you have or haven't. I'm very curious about your progress.

Oceanshaman said...

Please kick the habit of not posting . . .

We miss you . . .

Guilty Secret said...

Hi Brian,
Well done with the caffeine and hope you're ding well with the cigarettes too.
GS

DubLiMan said...

Looking at some of your posts, we are of like mind.

I found your site through a shared link that I have with “Let’s Change the World”. Would you be interested in a link swap? Please visit my site at: http://mondaymorningpower.blogspot.com. My site is “Dedicated to the Pursuit, Capture, Care & Feeding of a Positive Mental Attitude.” I have zero adds on my site. I feel that what I have to say has universal significance. If you like what you see and agree, then link my site to yours, leave me a comment on my blog that you have done so and I will immediately do the same. I only make this offer to sites that I know my readers would benefit from.

Sophia said...

Where o where has Brian gone?

Brian, we miss you!

Come back, come back, wherever you are!

Show some sign of life.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on this decision! You have taken on a big task, one which is and will pay off big time! I have been caffeine free for 8 months now. I love it. I sleep better, I now can stay awake in a meeting. Made a huge differnce!
You can do it! You should be very proud of yourself.

Anonymous said...

我的站點介紹:情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品情趣用品,
情趣用品,
情趣用品,
情趣用品,
情趣用品,
情趣用品 來看看 賣克

室內設計這是我找過最好的一家唷!

室內設計這家很好!

保健食品代工,素食膠囊,順傑

Anonymous said...

hey there consc.blogspot.com owner found your website via yahoo but it was hard to find and I see you could have more visitors because there are not so many comments yet. I have discovered website which offer to dramatically increase traffic to your blog http://mass-backlinks.com they claim they managed to get close to 4000 visitors/day using their services you could also get lot more targeted traffic from search engines as you have now. I used their services and got significantly more visitors to my website. Hope this helps :) They offer best services to increase website traffic at this website http://mass-backlinks.com