Sunday, February 25, 2007

The Secret

My intention is for this site to evolve into whatever it is meant to. I don't really know what the purpose of this site will be, but I'm hoping that will become clear as time goes on. At the least, it will hopefully be somewhere I can express myself and where interesting discussions can take place. Actually maybe the very least I should hope for is that this not be my one and only post and that I don't then I forget about this whole thing.

The theme that interests me most has to do with spiritual growth and how we can achieve it. I don't claim to be some spiritual guru or anything like that. I'm far from perfect but have an interest in growing in ways that can bring peace to myself and make me helpful to those around me. The world is far from ideal and I think it is at the level of our consciousness that things can change.

I just watched the movie "The Secret" yesterday. I wonder if using pirated videos off the internet is okay if they are spiritual? Anyways, I thought it was really great. I was falling asleep by the end only because of exhaustion not because of boredom, and I recommend this film to anybody who feels they lack control in their daily lives. I was kind of hesitant at first because I thought it might be some popular fad for a while, which it may be, but I did feel some sort of inspiration by the end of it.



The theme has to do with our thoughts and feelings being magnetic, so that what we are thinking and feeling is what we will attract into our own lives. This goes against the popular belief that our thoughts/feelings are dependent on our external circumstances, so if this is actually true I suppose it is quite an important thing to be aware of, no? One example from the film was from a man who cut out a picture of a beautiful house from a magazine and his intention was to live in a place like that. So he would focus on the picture, imagine himself living there, how he would feel, how he would be thinking. The point was to act as if you did already have what you want, and it will manifest in your reality. If you act as if you want it, then the universe will reflect back the "wantingness" of it, instead of the "having" of it. So he went on with this and eventually did end up in a house similar to the one he had strived for. What was most amazing though, was that later on when he looked back at the picture he was using to inspire him, he saw that he was actually in that very house. It wasn't a similar one, it was the actual house that was in the picture. That seems pretty amazing.

I think this idea is a beautiful philosophy, and I hope to test it out. If this truly is the way the universe works, then I guess the most difficult part is training ourselves to be able to think in ways that create what we desire instead of creating the experience of wanting it. But if you look around there are certainly people who have ambition and seem to make it while others struggle for everything they get. Could this be the difference, instead of bad luck?

The film did tend to have a slightly materialistic focus, on achieving wealth/success. It did, however, say that this is a result of positive feelings/thoughts, not the cause of them. Still, it is tempting to try to materialize a winning lottery ticket....

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am curious about your next pieces on the blog. Good luck!

Brian said...

Thank you very much. I'm clueless about blogs but I'm hoping to have some fun with it. I'll continue to check yours as well...take care

Forgetful God said...

The Secret...this has popped up in my reality a lot lately and I've had a chance to flip through it. It's definately a book that gets very close to the truth without actually getting to it.
To be honest this book rather disturbed me because of its intention. At first it would SEEM that the intention of this book is to wake people up to their own divinity...unfortunately this is not the case.
I'm glad you caught on to this...as you said, it seems a bit materialistic. The reason for this is that "reality" is changing...our consciousness is waking up and previous assumptions are being seen for what they are..."deceptions". This book is an attempt to wake up peoples creative ability but focus it away from themselves...it is meant to SEEM like a godsend but still keep us comfortably set in our desires and wants. Truly, it's a dirty trick.
One of the hardest things humanity is going to have to face is the realization that to "be" you must "let go"...this means letting go of everything (ideas, concepts, possessions, wants, desires, dreams, perceptions of time and space, etc...everything).
This book is a last minute effort from reality to direct our "waking consciousness" away from itself and back into the "world" (duality). As I said, it's a dirty trick...

Ask yourself this...if you ARE this inner divinity and have always been...why do you need more than what you have? If you're ALWAYS creating what is absolutely necessary for your own best interest, wouldn't trying to get MORE "stuff" simply be an escape from what you're supposed to have?

It seems this book is designed to fit in with the current trend of consciousness while keeping us muddled in fear and a need to control what comes into our reality.
Control, whether conscious or physical, is still based on fear of what "might" happen without it.

Thank you for seeing the truth of it.

A Forgetful God